Thursday, January 5, 2012

First Day

My first day at work today was wonderful. I got lost on the way there. A couple of times actually, but that's nothing unusual for me. I got to listen to the entirety of Switchfoot's Vice Verses which was glorious. Plus I got to see both the sunrise and the sunset on my treks. Worth the hour-long drive--today at least.

I got to listen to orientation and watch a video about the community I work in. Apparently, this place has a theme song. It reminds me of Disney World and it makes me happy. We also went over core values. Always a good place to start when you begin a career!

My boss took me to lunch at a country club (he treats newbies on their first day) and as I pored over the menu, deciding on a turkey panini (which wasn't amazing but pretty good once I added in some roasted red pepper mayonnaise that was on the side), this older gentlemen came up to me and said "Are you Demi Moore?" When I shook my head, laughing, he held out a napkin and said he was going to ask for my autograph. My boss thought this was very funny and shared this at the budget meeting where I was told by another editor that I looked like Jennifer Connolley. Wow, two firsts in one day!

After lunch, I spent an hour while my boss was at a meeting cleaning and disinfecting and organizing my desk. I used almost all of my kind neighbor's Lysol wipes which I plan on replacing this weekend. I can't wait to personalize my desk area a little bit but already I have a 2011 AP stylebook, a handful of phone books, a desktop that runs an Apple operating system (#win), a couple of new pens and highlighters, post-it notes and a rolodex. As soon as some tech guy remote accessed my computer and got my work e-mail set up, I basically had all the tools for my trade. Picking out desk supplies from the supply shelf made me feel like I was playing make-believe. I don't actually feel 22 years old in that sense. I still feel too young to have my own work space.

Anyway, I'm really excited to see where this is all heading. Tomorrow, I get to do a scavenger hunt. As in, I have to go drive around with a map and try to find certain places. For the directionally-challenged self, this is going to be quite the adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Woooooooooooow! This sounds like such an amazing place to work!!!! Haha! Demi Moore AND Jennifer Connoly?? NIIIIIICE!!!!! I'm so glad that it went so well! I'm so happy for you that you have found such a wonderful place to start your career! Sorry that I missed your call! I'm working on a project, but I'll get back to you tomorrow sometime! I'm so proud of you! It sounds like you're really going to fit in! Please send me pics of your desk after it is all set up!

    ReplyDelete